Sunday, December 25, 2011

Sturgis Event honours military heros

El Jebel blacksmith's memorial honors recently deceased soldiers PostIndependent.com When Vaugn Shafer was fabricating this memorial in his booth at the Buffalo Chip I just had to stop in and speak with him. Amazing human being and talented beyond belief. He has a very artistic imagination...he has a heart that is beyond imagination. Sitting in his booth also was a soldier who had just returned from Iraq. He was a Marine that was recovering from injuries as was evident from his emaciated body. I walked over to him to shake his hand and it was all he could do to stand up...I said "no no don't get up"...it was too late, his wobbling body stood at attention while he extended his had to greet mine, I said " hey bud you didn't have to get up for me", and he replied "yes I did"...he shook my hand with the grip of an injured warrior who quite didn't have the strength that he did in battle. Then he sat back down and told me how much it means to a soldier to be appreciated. I told Vaugn that I'm donating a significant amount to this worthy cause and that it would be a great privilege to engrave my initials with his "plasma cutter". He was totally reluctant due to the fact that if my initials were cut too close to the edge or over other initials it could disfigure the base. He believed me when I told him I'm very familiar with these tools by virtue of the fact that my life is the "steel industry"...what convinced him was my business card. He handed me the wand with a look that only comes when a delicate situation is in your hands. After carving my initials in 2" letters in front of the small toe of the left boot I looked up and noticed another half dozen or so marines were taking note of my endeavour. With a very polite acknowledgement they asked to squeeze by as to assist their injured buddy. These marines were built like upright freezers, all back and shoulders. Then a platoon leader got on stage to fill everybody in as to the reality of life. Whether one believes that the war in Iraq and Afghanistan was justified or not the fact remains there is an enemy out there and that the best of the best, our young, are out there fighting and they deserve endless respect and appreciation. "FREEDOM isn't FREE" and unfortunately the bills are paid in blood and tears. That night at the Buffalo Chip is forever etched in my brain. To be a part of an event where the United States Marine corp. is being honoured and the platoon leader sings the National Anthem is a life changing experience...unlike an event in Canada, where one can't even delineate as to who is a true Canadian, everybody is at attention with a display of "true love of country".
In 2007 I was at an event at Mt. Rushmore where the military was paying tribute to soldiers of the 82nd Airborne div. out of Fort Bragg N.C. En Route to Iraq. These kids were in such good shape it looked as though they could shred a 2x6 with their teeth.
I see the importance of a patriotic society. The foundation of justice and virtue begins with love of country...one Nation under God with liberty and justice for all. And it had better be pounded into the brains of our young.

The Great Sage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home